I did a mix of colors for this rather than a solid – For cast on and bind off, I held 3 strands of red. For most of the potholder, 3 strands of white. Towards the middle, it’s 2 white, 1 red. And the very middle stripe is 2 red, 1 white. This was mainly dictacted by the fact I didn’t have much red, but I wanted it to have red in it. 🙂
The biggest problem with this pattern is that 3 strands of cotton held together is tough to knit with. It’s more straining on my wrists and I definitely have to do it continental to help with that. But it makes such a nice finished product, I really can’t complain too much.