Last year, I wrote a 2014 recap and 2015 goals. This round-up looks over how things went in all Yarnings/Kristine related areas! My goals for this coming year will probably follow in another or be talked about on an episode soon.
Yarnings: Knitting Adventures: 2015 FOs: 36 items, 21,133 yards
- 8 tops (over 9000 yds combined): a girl wizard (Drifting, April), spirited clouds (May), bam boo tank (May), Over the Top top (August), handspun American Oak (September), Madame Rustica (Madame Entrechat, October), NaKniSweMo hexi pullover (November), Motorway Roadtrip (On The Motorway, December)
- 6 shawls (over 6000 yds, with the convokal nuvem and viajante being the biggest contributors!). 4 hats, 4 cowls, 1 headband. 3 wristers.
- 7 pairs of socks. 1 pair of legwarmers.
- set of baskets, gift child sweater.
- Techniques: improved my fair isle skills. took a class with Joji Locatelli. taught classes at Zombie Knitpocalypse.
Yarnings: Spinning a Tale: 2015 handspun: 9 items, 3,048 yards.
- 5 sport weight, 2 worsted, 2 fingering.
- used 1600 yards in projects, so more than half of what was spun! also used 170 yards of previously spun Abstract Fiber in a project.
- only began spinning again after ZK, in July; that averages 500 yards per month!
- all spun on my Turkish Delight drop spindle.
- for the future: I have 3 different handspun items from previous years I'd like to use, and one project where the spinning of singles is done and needs to be plied. I purchased multiple new quantities of fiber to spin up at the end of the year (5 new, 1 from the past
for purchasing new stash this year, I bought a fair amount that was knit up in new projects (8 1/2 projects used newly purchased yarns, 3 were design or sample knits, and 4 projects needed new yarn, but they were for a gift. so 20 projects used stash from before 2015!). Here's some of the notable things I want to start pairing with patterns and/or knitting up into planned patterns this year:
sweater quantities purchased in 2015 not yet used:
- Madtosh TML in Steam Age, earmarked for Serenity by Joji Locatelli. purchased February during Joji's class at Happy Knits
- Knit Picks Palatte in multiple colors for some sort of a fair isle cardi, to go with other colorways I own.
- Frabjous Fibers Cheshire Cat mini skeins (600yds), needs to go with some other colorway to be a sweater. purchased March during the Rose City Yarn Crawl.
- Marigoldjen's Merino Nylon in Lady Mary. wants to be a tunic. purchased in June at ZK2015.
- acquired multiple sweater quantities from a fairy yarn mother in multiple weights and quantities (2 fingering, 2 sport, 2 worsted).
- purchased a few small quantities from destash that could go WITH something - Berroco Softwist (600yd between brown and black colorways) and Malabrigo Worsted (600yds).
- handspun fractal valenscummy is 700 yards, so it could go with something easily.
- more of my cone of Peruvian alpaca laceweight.
previously purchased unknit sweater quantities
- Holiday Yarns FlockSock in Persephone. purchased October 2014 at Rhinebeck. maybe another Hitofude?
- Dancing Dog Dyeworks Tango Sock in Chile Verde. purchased June 2014 at ZK2014. worked up as a lighter fingering weight than I planned when swatching for a project earlier this year.
- Berroco Vintage, 8 skeins/1600 yards between multiple colorways previously earmarked for a blanket. purchased March 2014 during the Rose City Yarn Crawl. maybe turning several of the colors into a sweater?
- Cascade 220 in a lavender heather. purchased March 2013 on Rose City Yarn Crawl. wants to be paired with one of my handspuns or the Noro below.
- Noro Silver Thaw leftover from Lady Eleanor. purchased 2008.
Yarnings: Knitting Community: I attended 3 events this year: Rose City Yarn Crawl in March, Zombie Knitpocalypse in June, and Columbia Gorge Fiber Festival in November. Continued to watch/listen to my favorite podcasts and added a few more to my list throughout the year.
Yarnings: Stitch Through Time: new segment this year! started English paper piecing in October with a pretty epic project, with plans for more sewing with a machine and paper piecing too.
in non-fiber recaps:
- Sagas of Geekery: Now Playing: recorded 159 game plays on boardgamegeek. (there may be a few missing at the end of the year). Attended game days at the game store periodically, and the full Gamestorm con in March.
- Sagas of Geekery: Now Watching/Now Reading: rewatched a variety of TV series between Netflix and Amazon Prime: including Lost and Stargate SG-1. watched The West Wing for the first time, and finished Revolution for the first time. finished reading the Discworld series (from 33-41). started reading comic books.
- Book of Cooking: kitchen remodelarama (the last post of the year was Phase 8) changed a lot of things for the second half of the year!
- Fanciful Chatter: discovered more Perfectly Posh items (you can purchase under my name), found Chloe+Isabel jewelry. set out to find a favorite lipstick. cut my hair more drastically and got glasses.
- Happiness Continues: kept up my yoga practice all year, completed a first round of Physical Therapy over 3 1/2 months of summer. Went on an Anniversary trip for my 15th wedding anniversary, and a trip to CA for my husband's 20th high school reunion.
I'm definitely looking forward to another year of sharing my life on the Yarnings Podcast. And that's the story!